Would you believe that I haven't knit a single stitch in almost a week? Yep, it'll be a week tomorrow. (That sounds like it deserves applause, but it doesn't). It's not that I don't have things to knit, or don't have time to knit, it's just that I'm at home on my Spring break and, get this, I don't want to knit.
I would rather spend my time at home hanging out with my countless siblings, catching up with old friends, and being generally lazy around the house while I can.
I'm glad, then, that I waited to block my Haruni shawl until I got home, otherwise I would have already shown it to you and I wouldn't have anything to write about this week.
I knit this shawlette using The Plucky Knitter's Merino Cashmere Nylon Fingering yarn. Her shop is currently empty, but she just posted on her blog that she'll be updating it tonight, so keep your eyes peeled. This yarn is in the "Movin' On Out" colorway and I won it from a contest she was running on her blog a while back.
I knit a smaller size than the pattern indicates because I had less yardage than required, and I arbitrarily chose a US size 4 needle to knit with (it's what I had available when I started). It came out to be a decent size, perfect to drape around your shoulders.
I gave this one to my mother because the last one I gave her (Collonade) was a bit scratchy and I thought she could use something a bit more comfortable.
I chose to go with the crochet bind-off (the pattern gives you the option to do an applied i-cord bind of as well), but I didn't use a crochet hook - I found it easier to just use my knitting needles. What I did was with one stitch on the right needle, I would yarn over and pass the first stitch over the YO, then repeat several times to make a "crocheted" chain. It was easier and faster for me to do and achieved the exact same results.
I ran into a bit of a snafu as I was blocking this piece. It turns out I dropped a stitch at some point near the end of the shawl and when I stretch it out to block it, the stitch ran a bit. No worries though, it's all fixed and you can't even tell where the accident occurred, but it still caught me off guard. The only thing I could do at that point was some makeshift repairs which involved securing the dropped stitch with some spare yarn (a scrap from one of the ends I had woven in) and maybe a knot or two. Seriously though, you can't tell.
And with that, I have one more project off the needles.